Friday, September 10, 2010

Vegetarian Food Fair and Live Food Bar!

Had such a great, action-packed day. I met my friend Sabrina at Live Raw Food Bar and we had a really great time!

I started with their "In the Pink"drink, which was apple, pear, beet, lemon and ginger. It was very tasty.
Next up, we decided to split two mains so that we could try more things. We split the Raw Combo, and the Fiesta Bowl. The Raw Combo was a sample of their Mediterranean  Pizza, the Unstirfry, Pepper Poppers, and Garden Lasagna (everything is raw). And the Fiesta Bowl was on brown rice, with guacamole, black bean hummus, walnut meat, and cashew sour cream.

This was the "un-stirfry": Jicama and parsnip rice topped with teriyaki tossed veggies, mixed seeds, and spicy almonds
The Pepper Poppers: Sunflower seed pepper Jack 'cheese' and corn pepper salsa stuffed into fresh sweet peppers,served with sesame mayo and an almond cacao mole.

The Mediterranean Pizza: A buckwheat and flax crust topped with a sundried tomato red pepper marinara, marinated baby spinach, black and green olives, mushrooms, and a crumbled cashew 'feta cheese'.

The Fiesta Bowl, it's on brown rice but you can't see it. Black bean hummus, fresh salsa, guacamole and walnut 'taco meat', topped with cashew 'sour cream'
Our Kale Salad.  I don't know what dressing it had, but it was yummy!
After our great time at Live, of which our waiter wasn't very great and kind of spacey, we went to the Vegetarian Food Fair. I was so excited to go to this and I'm glad my friend agreed to tag along. I bought lots of goodies!
Yes, white vegan chocolate chips! I am trying really hard not to tear open the bag and eat them all.
There were lots of great "stations" at the fair, and one of my favourites was New Moon Kitchen! I looooove their baked goods. I bought their Espresso Chocolate Cookies, and their Spicy Chocolate Cookies (which have a lot of heat in them). I also bought their granola, which looked similar to mine and didn't have any added sugars. The raw cook book by Ani Phyo was one that i'd wanted to buy for a while but hadn't gotten around to it. It was a lot cheaper at the fair then at the book stores. I decided to try out this Rice Bran Oil. The man selling it said that it was healthier and contained more antioxidants and omegas than olive oil. So why not give it a try?

The best part of the day? I signed up for Front Door Organics! They will deliver me a mystery box of local, organic fruits and vegetables every two weeks, right to my door! I am so excited. This will force me to come up with new recipe ideas with the different fruits and veggies they bring me.

All in all, it was a great time at the veg fair, I will definitely go again next year.
I forgot to add that I will be participating in the Vegetarian Association's Vegan Bake Off on October 4th. I think I will enter a raw dessert, but I am not sure yet what I will make. Here's to experimentation!

Great quote from Jillian Michaels that I thought id share:  "Why choose failure when success is an option". It really hit home with me!

Hope you're all having a great day!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you went with your friend Sabrina to the fair!! i could tell how much fun you had !!i wish you success on your desert !! love Mom !!!

    ReplyDelete