Saturday, September 18, 2010

Complete rest day with a bit of cornbread!

For the whole year I haven't had a problem with my shins. I almost always get shin splints when I increase my mileage. But I didn't get them yet, because i've been doing a lot of cross training and strength work. But lo and behold, the week where I hardly run, I start to feel that little bit of pain in my lower shin. So, before it can get any worse, I've taken the whole day off! No 30 day shred, nothing. I'm hoping that this will help. Icing and stretching have pretty much been my best friends all day.

Here's to hoping that when September 25th rolls around, my shins won't hurt. I'll run on them anyways, but it would be nice to be pain free.

I finally bought a blender today. I brought it home, unwrapped it, and instantly made a smoothie. It was the most energizing smoothie I have ever had. I drank it, and then instantly felt like I had drunk 10 cups of coffee. I'm hoping to plan some sort of a smoothie party where I can blend tonnes of different smoothie concoctions!

Spinach, papaya chunks, ginger, lemon, parsley, avocado, almond milk
I've been extremely tired today so I didn't feel like cooking up a feast. I opted for an Ezekiel wrap with everything in the fridge on it, and some homemade cornbread.

Hummus, salsa, tomato, red onion, asparagus, red pepper, tomato, spinach, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, celery, cucumber, carrot.
The cornbread was very delicious and very easy to make!

Vegan Jalapeno Cornbread: 
This recipe was adapted from "Blue Ribbon Vegan Cornbread" 

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax/chia powder
  • 6 tablespoons of water
  • 1/2 jalapeno, chopped
  • 1 cup spelt flour
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1/4 cup organic raw sugar
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 cup rice bran oil
Directions:

Adjust oven rack to middle position and pre-heat oven to 425. Oil an 8 inch rectangular baking dish. Bring the water to a boil and add in the flax/chia powder. Bring to a simmer, and stir until it gets thick and gloopy (1.5 minutes). In a bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and sea salt. Add in the flax mixture, almond milk, jalapeno, and oil. Stir until smooth. Put into baking pan and bake for 25 minutes. Make sure to do the toothpick test! Feel free to add other things to the recipe, like whole kernels of corn, onion, bell peppers, etc!

Cool on rack for 20 minute and enjoy! (I love adding vegan butter or jam to it)

Wet + dry ingredients.
Delicious vegan cornbread fresh out of the oven!

Just watching some Top Chef right now and I think I'll do a bit more stretching. I'm definitely rearing to go tomorrow for a long and great run!

2 comments:

  1. I have chronic shin splints even though I don't run or even walk that much (because of chronic illness), due to endocrinological problems. I've found that ice and bromelain are by far the most helpful things for it. Bromelain is great stuff for all kinds of injuries. Arnica cream/gel also helps a bit. Are you using good shoes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I want to try it with cashew milk too. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete