Saturday, September 11, 2010

Vegan pizza portobellos!

Pure delight!!!
But I can't find the correct spelling of portobellos anywhere!

This recipe was adapted from Ohsheglows recipe and they were so amazingly delicious. I don't even like mushrooms and I ate three of these in no time at all.

They had great tomato, garlic, cheese and basil flavour. It was so delicious, i'm lost for words.
Vegan Pizza Portobello's:
As adapted from "ohsheglows"

Ingredients:
  • 6 portobello mushroom caps
  • 1 cup tomato/pasta sauce
  • 1 cup of chopped red pepper and yellow pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped vidalia onion
  • 6 basil leaves
  • 1 tablespoon red chili flakes
  • 1 cup raw cashews (soaked in water for atleast an hour)
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp rice bran oil
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Directions:
Make the vegan cashew cheese ( puree the raw cashews, sea salt, rice bran oil, 2 leaves of basil, garlic clove, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice) and set aside. Now, preheat the oven to a broiler setting. Put parchment paper on a baking sheet. Wash mushroom caps and place with the concave part facing up (so you can fill it). Make sure to remove stems. Put 2-3 tablespoons of your tomato sauce into each mushroom and follow with the vegan cashew cheese. Put as much cheese as you want! I put a lot and it was soooo good! Next, add your chopped vegies, then top with minced basil and chili flakes. Broil in the oven for 15-20 minutes, just make sure to watch it. My oven broils at a very low temperature so it took a bit longer.
Enjoy!!!

I planned on doing a 12 km run this morning before work--> It didn't happen. I woke up at 7, ate my overnight oats, then went back to bed :(   . I went to work feeling so horrible that I didn't run. But I remembered that quote from Jillian Michaels, and when I got home I did the run. And I killed it!

Distance:  12.01 km
Time: 1:06:19
Calories: 714
Average Pace: 5:31 min/ km
Average HR: 158
Max HR: 171

My last km was done in 5:02 ! Yaii! At the end of the run though, my stomach was really starting to ache. I think it had to do with my stomach bouncing up and down for so long. But I just had to keep running because I was still so far from home. I've really been feeling a lot better during my runs (except for this sore stomach) , my spirit is up, and I am starting to enjoy the run, and the peacefulness and alone time it gives me. I hope it can stay like this :)

Now for some core power yoga!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds creative and yummy! I've been looking for the "ultimate stuffed mushrooms recipe" so will definitely have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. This recipe fails on several counts:

    1. Things you can't put under a broiler without burning: fresh basil and parchment paper. Both will burn. Not tasty. Do not broil on parchment, and do not put fresh basil on pizzas until the end.

    2. The cashew cheese, even after soaking the cashews, was a thick gummy mess that balled up under the blade in my processor. I had to add water in order to get something that didn't resemble tub caulk.

    3. This dish does not cook in 15-20 minutes. I broiled according to recipe and did nothing but burn my basil and start a small fire in my oven thanks to the parchment paper. Baking on 425 now for the last 37 minutes... still not done (even after broiling) and I have a gas oven that cooks extremely well. This recipe, however, does not.

    Bummer. It sounded so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was looking for a vegan pizza recipe thanks.

    ReplyDelete