Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Can you guess?

Can anyone guess what this is?


If you guess baked tofu with a miso gravy, you are correct!!! I know, it looks nothing like how you'd expect it.

The tofu technically isn't really baked, its pan fried without the oil. Gotta' love non-stick pans.

Fresh has the most amazing miso gravy and I thought I would try to make it today. This miso gravy tastes nothing like Fresh's, but it's still post-worthy.



Miso Gravy

Adapted From Diet Dessert and Dogs

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp miso paste
  • 1.5 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp tamari
  • 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 6 tbsp spelt flour
  • 1.5 cups veg stock or broth (no added salt)
Directions:
Blend the oil, miso, tamari and nutritional yeast into a creamy paste in a pot. Now add the flour slowly and make into a thick paste. Turn on the burner to medium heat and add your broth a little bit at a time. Let it come to a boil then reduce to a simmer until desired thickness is reached. If you want it thicker, add more flour or cornstarch, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer and remove from heat. Make sure to stir constantly.

Today was a "copy Fresh day". I also tried to make the powerhouse bowl that I love there. It has a spicy tahini sauce, sunflower sprouts, a mixture of nuts, avocado, grilled tofu, tomatoes and red onion. Although I was out of the sprouts, I had everything else.




The spicy tahini sauce was a little bit of trial and error.

Spicy Tahini Sauce:

Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp tahini
  • 1 tsp tamari
  • 1 tsp franks red hot (or tabasco)
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Directions:
Mix all ingredients together well. If yours turns into a thick paste and seems to curdle, add water to thin it out. If it loses its desired saltiness then, add some more tamari. For me, the salt was better after the water, so it worked out perfect. Warm up on very low heat and pour over rice!

I didn't do my cardio this morning because I wanted to get home before Ryan left for work, so I told myself I would do it tonight, but all I really want to do is snuggle up with the bears and watch some Six Feet Under.

The other day, Ryan and I stopped by a BMV where they have used books, DVDs and magazines. We picked up Battlestar and Six Feet Under for 25.00 $ each. Battlestar was 49.99 at Best Buy, and Six Feet Under was 79.99. I smell a deal :)

No comments:

Post a Comment