Kathy's Bean and Quinoa Salad:
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can black eyed peas (I used a mixed bean can), rinsed and drained
- 1 can corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup celery, chopped finely
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped finely
- 1 bunch of green onions, chopped finely
- 1 cup of oil (I used 1/2 cup EVOO)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (I used a little less)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 -2 cups cooked quinoa (I put one because I'm low-carbing it)
|I enjoyed my bean salad with some cajun baked salmon|
|Coated with cajun spice, and baked at 350 for 25 minutes. Perfection!|
Today I had a super hard workout on the eliptical. I did a total of 30 minutes on it with a 5 minute warm-up. The next five minutes were still a warm-up but at about 75% effort. For the next 20 minutes I did 30 seconds at 100% effort, and then 30 seconds at 45-50% effort. It was grueling. I have never felt my heart and lungs ache so much. And to top it all off with an extra ass kicking, I did some plyometrics. I did the same plyometrics workout as last week, but it felt a lot harder this time around.
For dinner tonight I cooked some mini tempeh meatloaf from the new Skinny Bitch cookbook (cant wait to try out everything form this cookbook). They taste amazing, especially when paired with some misoooooodelicious gravy.
As inspired by the Skinny Bitch cookbook
- 2 packages of crumbled tempeh
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup ezekiel bread toasted and made into crumbs
- 1/4 cup oats (I used spelt flakes)
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
Preheat oven to 350. In a saute pan, add the oil, tempeh, celery and carrot. Saute for about 5 minutes and then add your herbs. Saute for 5 more minutes and the move to a bowl. Add the rest of your ingredients and mash it all up. Make sure it is evenly distributed. Scoop your mixture into cupcake tins and bake for 25 minutes! Let cook and then top with some delicious miso gravy.
Super Delicious Miso Gravy:
I can eat this straight out of the pot with a spoon. Beware, it grows on you.
- 4.5 tbsp spelt flour
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup engevita yeast
- 1.5 cups veg stock
- 1/3 cup EVOO
- 1.5 tsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp miso paste (I used red)
- 3/4 tsp sea salt (this is a salty gravy, so put less if you want it less salty)
Put all ingredients into a pot over high heat. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes. Enjoy!
I'm catching up on all of the Tudors I missed on netflix right now. I'm too exhausted to do much else. Hope everyone is having a great week1
See you guys later :)
I will be doing a post tomorrow on how to make sure you stick with your healthy eating when you're away from home. There are a few staple items that you have to have to survive.